History of the
Florence Electricity Department
In 1936, the
City of Florence purchased the electrical distribution system
from Alabama Power Company that served electricity customers
within the Florence city limits. Then, as now, the Electricity
Department purchased power from the Tennessee Valley
Authority; in those days, it was distributed to 2,344
customers through 30 miles of distribution line.
later, the City purchased the electric distribution system
that served Lauderdale County. The additional 220 miles of
distribution line brought 2,493 more customers into the
system, and the Florence Utility Department began furnishing
electricity to the entire county.
have changed! Today, the Florence Electricity Department's 211
employees furnish power to 47,854 customers, using 44
substations and over 2,543 miles of power lines. We utilize a
Global Information System that uses global positioning and a
comprehensive computer programming system that allows the
Department to locate problem areas and quickly dispatch help
in the case of a power outage. The Department's total
operating revenue is in excess of $125 million, and it
purchases over 1.3 billion kilowatt hours annually from TVA.